Fuck off, The Retirement Shop – stop cold-calling me!

A company called The Retirement Shop keeps cold-calling me. I don’t like being cold-called, so now I’m calling you, The Retirement Shop – I’m calling you out for your annoying phone calls.

The first conversation

My first conversation went like this:

(Imagine the voice of an Australian woman) “Hello there, is this Paul Jones?”

“Er, yeah… speaking.”

“Hi Paul, I represent an organisation who help expats with their pensions. I notice you’re living in Dublin now. Paul, I would like to organise a phone call with one of our pensions advisors. What time of day is best for you? Morning, afternoon, or evening?”

“Er… afternoon, I guess,” I said.

“Thank you. And can I ask you about the details of your pensions in the United Kingdom? Are you part of any pension schemes?”

The call was starting to scare me so I overcame my British politeness and hung up.

The next calls

Since then, The Retirement Shop have been calling me about twice a week. They seem to prefer mornings, which suits me fine because I’m asleep and have my phone on silent.

Here’s the date, time and number of each call so far:

Date Time Phone number
4 Oct 2016 11:50 00 44 20 3318 3823
7 Oct 2016 16:15 44 20 3318 4664
13 Oct 2016 15:36 44 20 3318 4664
14 Oct 2016 10:55 00 44 20 3868 7111
21 Oct 2016 11:31 44 20 3318 4664
26 Oct 2016 10:27 00 44 20 3868 7111
27 Oct 2016 13:19 00 44 20 3868 7111
28 Oct 2016 12:48 00 44 20 3868 7111

That’s eight calls so far. I’m started to feel flattered.

The last conversation

A soft-spoken Englishman was the last representative to call me. I asked how they had obtained my details. How did they know I was in Ireland? Was it from my LinkedIn page?

“Yes, it was from LinkedIn,” he replied.

Liar! I haven’t updated my LinkedIn page in years. I know how they obtained my information. It was from Legal & General or Hargreaves Lansdown. You see, two weeks before the first phone call from The Retirement Shop, I told both brokers that I had moved to Ireland. I know it’s no coincidence that The Retirement Shop started calling soon after.

The solution

The solution is to block all The Retirement Shop’s numbers on your phone. Simple.

Let me know in the comments if The Retirement Shop has annoyed the fuck out of you too.

6 thoughts on “Fuck off, The Retirement Shop – stop cold-calling me!

• May 17, 2017 at 11:01 am

Hi ,

This exact same situation has happened to me. It started with a fake call from Manchester and now it’s a constant barrage of cold calls despite me explaining I don’t need their service. One question though has anyone successful stopped these guys? If so I would be keen to hear how?
    Thanks
    Bridget

• May 18, 2017 at 11:20 pm

I blocked their numbers on my phone. I’ve had no calls since then.

• April 3, 2017 at 5:51 pm

Had a quick chat with this lot earlier. Thought I’d find out what they were proposing at least. What they would have done for me if I’d let them would have resulted in a minimum 25% tax hit under the new QROPS rules – they denied flat out this was the case. Avoid at all cost.

• March 15, 2017 at 8:58 am

They get details from ‘Researchers’ posing as fake Recruitment Consultants from big names on LinkedIn with job vacancies for expats abroad in their host country- the type of people everyone shares their number with. The profiles are very, very realistic (prob copied from real profiles). One even set up a blog page. You go to the page and there’s just 1 post of nonsense. But its makes the LinkedIn profile look even more legit. Then the ‘Recruiter’ goes silent and the call comes a couple of days later (subtle timing). The number they call from is a fake Manchester number – you can’t call it back. Check out The Retirement Shop (aka TRS Online) . Website says based in Dorset, but company is registered in Sale, Cheshire on Companies House (ie – Manchester postcode). 2 Directors with very similar names (could be brothers…maybe…) 1 in the UK, 1 in the UAE. No previous Directorships. Registered in Sep 2016, no wont have had to file paperwork yet. No employees on LinkedIn. Directors are not on LinkedIn.

• March 15, 2017 at 5:20 pm

I see from beta.companieshouse.gov.uk that the directors’ names are John Cornelius Parker and James Patrick Parker. The former is aged 33 and the latter is aged 30. I googled their names and John Cornelius Parker appears in a newspaper article from 2002. According to the article, he’s from “Beldan Hall, Hallstead in Kent” and he was involved in a riot after a football match. It seems his morality hasn’t changed since then.

• January 23, 2017 at 6:34 am

I have received these as well, same story, got my details from researchers who use LinkedIn and FaceBook, although of course, neither site has my number, is anyone that stupid they publicise this publicly? Anyway, I am not British, so I back them into a corner until they hang up, every minute they spend talking to me is a minute of their time wasted. Perhaps now they will add me to their do not call list… Perhaps I will drag it out further next time…