One year’s gym progress

I have always had a pale and skinny body, and I came to accept that. I would rationalise the situation by labelling muscular guys as ‘dumb jocks’ and myself as the ‘smart geek’ who didn’t need muscles.

According to my BMI, I was borderline underweight. I thought this was healthy because it meant I had a low risk of heart disease. I was also eating little, probably 1,500 kcal per day. I was happy with this too. I found eating boring and a hassle, and I knew that low-calorie diets extend your life span.

But people kept telling me how skinny I looked. My brother and sister visited me in Canada and they were shocked at how thin I was. Here’s a photo from around that time:

To be fair, I don’t look too bad in that photo, so I don’t know what the fuss was about. Okay, so I wasn’t Christopher Bale’s Batman, but I certainly wasn’t Christian Bale in The Machinist either.

The Revelation

My brother has always been skinny too. His spine protruded from his back like the spines of a stegosaurus. His chest looked like the remains of a cow ribcage from a Western film.

But last year, I visited home. I hadn’t seen my skinny brother for over a year, and this time, it was my turn to be shocked: he was now muscular. He was a swole gym bro. He had an extra 20 kg of pure muscle over me. Here’s a picture of us:

My brother asked if I wanted to go the gym and lift weights with him. I said, “Why not”. So off we went. He showed me how to do a barbell bench press and a dumbbell bench press, and possibly many more types of bench press too.

I thought to myself, “If my brother can do it, then so can I!” After all, our genetic-relatedness is 50%. He’s practically a clone of me.

Today’s situation

I’ve been to the gym 78 times since that gym session a year ago. Here’s before and after photos:

And here’s some statistics from since I started on 2 May 2016 to today:

• I’ve been to the gym 1.5 times per week.
  • My BMI has increased from 19.1 to 22.2. I’m no longer borderline underweight.
  • I’ve spent £297 on gym memberships. I know I could have spent this money on drugs and rent boys instead, but personally, I think the gym has been worth it.
  • For the dumbbell chest press, the most I could lift when I started was 14 kg. Now I can lift 40 kg. I’m practically superman.
  • Same deal with the bicep curl.The most I could lift when I started was 10 kg. Now I can lift 20 kg.

To keep making progress, I know need to do more barbell exercises, like barbell squats and deadlifts. I just hope I don’t do my back in and end up as a cripple.

7 thoughts on “One year’s gym progress

• December 4, 2017 at 8:52 pm

Hi have been thin all my life, and been always embarrassed about it. I have nice muscles when I go to gym and workout , however I got always told, yes u have muscle, but no fat. I decided to take a break from everything and just concentrate on eating as much as I can.

I was 63kg, and three weeks later I am 73kg.

• October 8, 2017 at 3:29 pm

Look up the gomad diet
    Do it to get to a more standard weight if thats what youre looking for. I gained 20lbs in a month

Gaining weight with fast metabolisms and small stomachs is extremely difficult. You get in what you put out

Dont be afraid to get a little fat. Its easy to lose it right away with out type of genetics

Lastly, gym once a week is nothing, you may as well not go and ride a bicycle. 3 or 4 times a week, lift medium weight 15 reps so you dont hurt yourself and lift past the burn

Youll gain and get bigger if you do it

Some people really need to eat 3000 calories a day just to gain 1lb a week. In the long run, I do believe being skinnier is healthier and will make you live longer, but at the same time its probably a worthy trade off to be stronger, and to look and feel better

• September 26, 2017 at 11:30 pm

No you will not end up fat. You have a extreme case of skinny. You need to up those calories like no tomorrow and shock your muscles into hypertrophy. I have no doubt you gained strength , but I almost feel like your trolling because your picture shows no literal definition in your body at all in terms of muscle. My advice eat more tons more it doesn’t matter if it’s McDonald or chocolate get the calories in.

• September 29, 2017 at 3:25 pm

It absolutely matters what he eats, McDonald’s will make his gut bigger, but not his muscles lmao… terrible advice

• July 5, 2017 at 3:59 pm

Dude you look the same, eat up. 4000-5000 cals/day. You still look like a friggin skeleton, keep it up with the hardwork!
    Cheers

• July 5, 2017 at 6:20 pm

But if I ate 4,000 calories every day then I’d end up fat, not muscular, no?

• September 29, 2017 at 3:23 pm

No you will not end up fat. Eat healthy and get a lot of protein in your body, drink whey protein shakes like no tomorrow. Only eat healthy fats like oatmeal and nuts.. many vegetables and fruit, and chicken is good protein too. That diet will naturally burn fat and add muscle as long as you start going to the gym 4 times per week, not a little 1.5 day workout….